Tuesday, February 18, 2014

{working nights:late night snacking}

I started working nights- again- about a year ago. It's an interesting shift... wide awake while most everyone is resting, drinking coffee at all hours, and eating... stuff.

It's hard sometimes to figure out what to eat during a 12 hour overnight. I know some who prefer not to eat much, if at all- thinking that if they were home, they'd be sleeping and not eating. But, I'm far too hungry to be that restrained. {I think the only way I can ever go 12 hours without eating is if I'm sound asleep after a holiday meal}. 

I have learned that eating a regular meal is a no-no for me... often making me sleepy. I've seen and felt {in my waistband} the effects of giving into late-night, sleep deprived, junk food cravings {sometimes Cheetos from the vending machine are just irresistible}... and sadly, I'm beyond my college days of being able to sustain myself on Ramen. 

So, I snack... every few hours... all night long. 

Popcorn, cereal, yogurt, sometimes fruit {not as portable and quick to grab as I wish}, peanut butter/crackers, Luna bars, nuts {my big treat! we keep them out of the house because of Ben's allergy}... and whatever else I can make myself think of as healthy, but tasty to keep me going. 

Some of my favorites:
- Homemade trail mix- I like to mix it up with banana chips, sunflower seeds, peanuts and whatever I crave at the moment. I make it in a big batch for us all to enjoy throughout the week. 
- My favorite special yogurt treat....
-... because two little kisses go a long way at 3am... 
- A great alternative to hospital coffee. Perks me up, and gives me a little boost of Vit. C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment