Saturday, February 8, 2014

{cycle for survival}

Me and my team 2013
Once in a while... if we're lucky, we get to be a part of something amazing. Have one of those spine-tingling, goosebump-making, is-this-a-movie? experiences. 

Cycle for Survival is one of those experiences for me. 

There is a lot of cancer in my family. Typically, it has affected the older generations... But, a few years ago, it decided to strike young. One of my cousins was diagnosed with breast cancer at 31 years old. Thankfully, today she is a survivor. She is an incredibly strong woman with an awesome sense of humor and a big heart- I cannot imagine the world without her- or her new baby girl. 

After being diagnosed, she sought out the best at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. She is my link to Cycle for Survival. 

Cycle was started by a former patient and has grown into something amazing. Once an event held with a few spin bikes in one small gym; Cycle now takes place all over the country, with hundreds of bikes... and raises millions of dollars. {100% of which gets allocated to research projects within six months}. 

What blows me away about Cycle is the energy. Current patients, survivors, parents, sisters, brothers, friends, and co-workers all affected by cancer {in one of its many forms} fill the gym with the most unbelievable energy I have ever experienced. They share stories, they honor memories... they stay positive. They fill others with hope {even after experiencing devastating losses}. 

Last year, I cried. I smiled. I laughed... I was in awe of all of the amazing people who came together in one room to really make a difference. It was humbling. Empowering. Breathtaking. 

This year, I will do it again. I am proud to say that I am a part of such an amazing event. I am proud of my family's survivors, and of those we have lost. 

I'm gonna help kick cancer's ass. 


No comments:

Post a Comment