Sunday, February 16, 2014

{my toddler: bad bedtime}

...sneaking a book into bed...
My sweet, adorable, wonderful boy is definitely in the midst of his "Terrible Twos". Today was full of meltdowns and battles of will. The culprit {we think}: we noticed one of his two-year molars coming in. {Thankfully, that's something we can help} 

I work nights. So three nights per week, it is just my hubs and my son at bedtime. Somehow, my hubs has become the Sandman while me putting our son to bed is kin to giving him espresso and license to cry. 

Tonight, we had a role reversal. My husband was called into work tonight, leaving me home to tame the toddler. Because we are aware of the bedtime drama, {and I had managed the daytime tears} my hubs did the usual bedtime routine of book reading, song, and tuck-in. Of course, Ben crawled right into bed and was seen angelically snoozing on the monitor... 

Then, {I'm pretty sure he heard my hubs getting ready to go}... we watched as he got out of bed, and got one of his favorite books... and then a flashlight... and then a toy. Hubby walked out the door. 

I was ok with him playing, as long as the light was off and he was in bed. {Eventually he would nod off... right?}

As soon as I was comfortable on the couch downstairs ready to watch some Hulu, {yay Mommy time!}, I started hearing the sounds of his trucks, and noticed the light on in his room. {and the pitter patter of his little feet} I attempted using the monitor to mysteriously and invisibly speak to him and tell him to turn his light off and get into bed... 

...one book; backrubs; some snuggling; some begging; and one hour later, he was asleep enough for me to tiptoe out. 

Curious to learn why I can't seem to get him to sleep, I consulted Dr. Google. Turns out, the problem is likely the fact that when he cries in the middle of the night, I hug him; when he has nightmares, I hold him, try to kiss it away, and if its bad- bring him to our bed. {I'm the soft spot- the pushover} Hmpf. 

Maybe these adorable pjs would help?
The book of the night...

No comments:

Post a Comment