Tuesday, January 28, 2014

{meatless monday: white bean soup and dijon grilled cheese}


So, yesterday was "Meatless Monday" in our house. I have to admit, I do not hold the tradition firmly, but I do attempt to make at least one vegetarian meal per week... perhaps writing about it here will help me stick to a routine, and keep it to Mondays. 

It's cold. Freezing or below freezing, here in New Jersey. I was never a soup person- growing up in Florida- but sometime in the last 10 years of living with "real" winters, I have found a soft spot for soups. I also have a love of grilled cheese. 

Last night, I decided to make some very simple white bean soup. Although I was nervous- at first glance, it resembled the baby food I used to make my son- it was very yummy... and warm... and easy to make (always a plus on a work night).

Here's my recipe:

1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped carrot
3/4 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed between your fingers
1 bay leaf
2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups (or so) of chicken broth *should've used vegetable broth, but didn't have any
Parmesan rind
salt/pepper to taste

Heat a pot over medium heat, add olive oil. Saute diced onion until translucent. Add garlic and saute about 1 more minute. Add rosemary, bay leaf, pinch of salt/pepper, carrots, white beans, chicken broth and Parmesan rind. Bring pot to boil, then reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender. 

Carefully ladle soup into blender and puree until desired consistency. I tried to leave mine a little chunky. Return to pot, season with salt/pepper to taste. Enjoy and be warm. 

My grilled cheese was also super simple. I used Ezekiel bread- delicious and good for you!- margarine, one slice of white american cheese, and one slice of lacey swiss- folded in half because those slices tend to be big. The only "unusual" thing I did to spice things up was smear a little dijon mustard on the inside of one of the slices of bread. It was melty, gooey, nutty, and dijon-y... a great combination. 

Overall, it was a successful, simple, quick, delicious, vegetarian- minus the chicken broth- dinner. 

I hope that you try it and enjoy... and stay warm! What's your favorite soup?

No comments:

Post a Comment